Wednesday 19 October 2011

Gaijingle Bells

In a controversial move, the government has announced that all foreign residents in Japan will be required to wear small bells around their necks.  The law will come into effect from next month, and foreigners found outside without their bells will be liable to fines or prison sentences.

Justice Ministry spokesman Suppai Imo explained, 'There are a lot of Japanese people who have a deeply-held fear of foreigners, and it's impractical for us to tackle such an entrenched prejudice, especially when we share it.  This move will allow us to perpetuate that fear and use it to our political advantage.'

Public reaction to the announcement has been mixed. 'I'm really happy about this,' said housewife Megumi Kashima. 'When I hear the bell I'll know there's a gaijin approaching, and that'll give me a few seconds to get my children indoors.'

Scott 'The S Man' Golfingstein, a broker from Roppongi, was unimpressed. 'Only a bell?' he said. 'If I'm to warn all the J-chicks that the S-Man is on his way I should get an airhorn. Whoooooooo!'

No comments:

Post a Comment